Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jaxson's Traumatic Week

As many of you have heard we have had one heck of a week. We moved back to Laramie on Thursday afternoon, and it was so hard to leave home and all of our family. I cried all day, all night, and throughout the next few days! Darn hormones! We then proceeded to move all of our baby items into this super small apartment, and it took FOREVER! After everything was all put away and all 3 of us relaxed and adjusting to our new little life together, Jaxson decided to through one heck of a spin on things.

We were just getting ready to change his diaper and feed him right before bedtime. I layed him down on his blanket in our living room, and looked up at his face. He turned extremely red, his hands and arms went up to his chest/face, he started convulsing extremely hard, and foamy substance was coming out of his mouth and nose. I yelled to Tyler that I thought he was having a seizure. Ty thought he was choking, but I knew 100% it was more than simply choking. We grabbed him and turned him on his side and swiped all of the foam out of his mouth, and I immediately called 911. They sent over cops, an ambulance, ans tons of EMT's. When they got here they checked all his vitals and said everything looked alright, but that we should go to the ER. I wrapped him up and rode in the ambulance with him, and Ty met us at the hospital. Once in the ER, he had to be tortured in so many aspects. He had to give 3 viles of blood, do glucose testing, have and x-ray taken, a little pee bag inside of his diaper, and all sorts of things. On top of everything, he had to be naked the whole time, and was freezing. Long story short, the ER doctor told us that his bily-rubin(sp) levels were high, and that caused the seizure, but we should meet with the Pediatrician first thing the next morning.

We came home, and Ty stayed awake holding him all night, just in case it happened again, while I slept for a few hours. We then headed to the pediatrician's office. Once there, he told us that he really felt it was a seizure, but that the ER doctor was completely wrong in what he told us caused it. He also told us that Jaxson needed to have CT Scan of his brain, and a EEG of his brain. At this point, we were both terribly scared and wanted our mommies! So both of them jumped into the car and came that night.

Tuesday, Dr. Kleppinger admitted us to the hospital for the night so that all of the test could be performed. Tyler went with him to do his CT scan, and I got to hold him while they performed the EEG. Overall, I think he was quite traumatized by all the poking, blood taking, and testing, but was such a good baby the whole time.

By Wednesday morning we knew that all the tests were clear, and that Jaxson was just a healthy little boy. He technically didn't have a seizure, but a Mayochlonic(sp) Jerking of muscles. This looks and seems exactly like a seizure but stems from the spinal cord rather than the brain, not causing any sort of damage at all.

Throughout the whole deal we only got picture of the EEG...so here they are. They make me sad to look at them and remember all of the stuff he had to experience at such a young age. After it all we are so grateful for the amazing child we have been blessed with to raise, and are so grateful that he ended up healthy and problem free.


5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow, that's so scary! I'm so sorry you all had to go through that! But I'm glad to hear everything is clear. We'll be praying for you.

Emily Asay said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that! I'm glad he's o.k. adn that its all over with.

WYO Smith's said...

I am so glad to hear hear that all is well. I talked to your dad the day they were doing the tests and I have been worried about you ever since. Happy that they can clear him and you can be a stress free mommy again.

Sarah B. said...

Oh how scary! I totally understand how that feels...Bubba has had "seizures" before too and oh my gosh, I can completely relate! I am glad that he is doing better!!!

Mary said...

Wow that is so sad. Those picturs just wrenched my heart! It made me so sad. I'm glad he's ok though.